The Lyon Air Museum a Santa Ana gem in the heart of Orange County. Founded by Major General William Lyon, the museum displays vintage aircrafts and memorabilia focusing on the events from the 20th century – World War II.
“The Mission of Lyon Air Museum is to provide a quality venue of inspiration where the stories of aviation’s past can touch the lives of its visitors through educational exhibits, authentic historical aircraft, and related memorabilia.” –museum staff.
The Lyon Air Museum boasts a collection showcasing some of the rarest operational aircrafts and vehicles in the world.
List of airplanes on display:
- Boeing B17 “Flying Fortress”
- Cessna 01-E “Birddog”
- Douglas A-26 “Invader”
- Douglas C-47 “Skytrain” or “Dakota”
- Douglas DC-3 “Flagship Orange County”
- North American AT-6/SNJ-6
- North American B-25 “Mitchell”
List of automobiles, motorcycles, and military vehicles on display:
- 1939 Mercedes-Benz Model G4 Offener Touring Wagon1939
- 1940’s Divco Helms Bakery Truck
- 1943 German NSU Kettenkrad HK 101 Tracked Motorcycle
- 1943 Japanese Rikuo Sidecar Motorcycle
- 1945 Indian Motorcycle “Chief”
- 1939 German VID Tempo Gelaendewagon
- 1941 Dodge ½ Ton Command and reconnaissance Truck
- 1943 Ford GPW Military Jeep
- 1942 Ford GPW Military Jeep
Located on the west side of John Wayne Airport, the museum takes advantage of a 30,000 square foot hangar with a vast selection of classic airplanes and vehicles from the WWII era. This facility provides a unique event venue that’s perfect for galas, corporate events, memorial services, anniversaries, birthdays, holiday parties, fashion shows, and wedding receptions.
Lyon Air Museum is open to organizations, businesses and/or individuals. However, the availability of the space is contingent on the museum’s own schedule of events and activities. Please consult with Lyon Air Museum personnel for rental availability. Click here to schedule your event today!
The minimum price facility rental is $7,650 and an additional $1,000 deposit is required to protect from any possible damages. Valet, catering, and rental fees come at an additional price.
Parking at the museum is limited and depending on how many guests show up, off-site parking and pre-approved valet service for the event may be required.
Choose from a selection of exclusive caterers who are familiar with the space and process.
Calendar of Events
- Back to School Special, September 1-30
- The Great Pacific Airshow, October 4-6
- Veteran’s Day, November 11
- Open cockpit day // B17: Flying Fortress, November 12
Lyon is staffed during the day with volunteers, but they do offer group tours for those who schedule them out in advance. Click here to schedule your event.
Admission Fees (open 10am – 4pm daily)
- General: $12
- Ages: 5 to 17: $6
- Under-five: free
- Seniors and veterans: $9
- School groups: Free
Looking for convenient hotel accommodations near Santa Ana? The Hotel Atrium is conveniently located directly across the street from John Wayne Airport. If you’re looking for even more things to do around Orange County, check out our attractions page. Book your Orange County stay with Hotel Atrium today!